General insurance

General Insurance

What is general insurance?

Wouldn't it be reassuring to know that should something unexpected happen to your belongings, we've got you covered?


Do I need general insurance?

When you're considering whether or not general insurance is right for you, ask yourself a couple of questions: 

  1. What items do I own that I'd want to be able to repair or replace if something unexpected happened to them? (e.g. a house, a car, major household items, jewellery etc.) 

  2. Could I afford to repair or replace these items out of my own pocket if something happened to them?

Insuring your belongings is generally a personal choice. However, you should weigh up the risks carefully and consider the benefits of being covered for the unexpected.

Home Insurance

What is home insurance? 

Your home is your haven, one of your most prized assets. Home insurance helps it stay that way. Cover for your home may include permanent decks, pools, garages, sheds and other outbuildings, driveways, fences, clotheslines and more.

Replacement cover for your home is based on, and limited to, the sum insured. The amount of cover you choose needs to take into account the cost of rebuilding your home from scratch. This will differ from its government or market valuation, so it's important you find out the cost to rebuild your home and other improvements to your property.

If you make a claim which is covered by your policy, you will be paid the cost to rebuild up to the specified sum insured. That's why it's important your sum insured is enough.


What does my home insurance cover?

Generally, your home policy will cover you for accidental loss or damage to your home. However, there is also a more limited policy available that covers specified events only, for Indemnity Value rather than Replacement Value.

Please contact us and we can provide specific information about the policy wording and explain what's covered and, more importantly, what's not covered.

Your policy document will identify any circumstances and types of damage that aren't covered (called "exclusions"). It's important to be aware of exclusions so you understand the limitations of your policy.

Contents Insurance

What is contents insurance?

Home insurance covers the building you live in: contents insurance provides cover for your personal belongings which may include furniture, furnishings, appliances, clothes and any valuables that are normally located in or around your home.


What does my contents insurance cover?

Contents insurance cover varies from policy to policy, so it's important you read your policy to fully understand what is and isn't covered.

Our two most popular options for insuring your contents are:

Option One: Your contents will be insured for accidental loss or damage at your home or while they are temporarily removed to anywhere within New Zealand. Most items are covered for the cost of replacing a lost or destroyed item or repairing a damaged item up to certain limits. Some items – for example, clothing, footwear, books and magazines and certain items that are over a particular age – will only be covered for their indemnity value up to the limits.

Option Two: With this option your contents will be covered for certain events only, and cover is limited to contents situated at the home only. All items are covered for their indemnity value up to certain limits.

Motor Vehicle and Boat Insurance

Cover may include loss or accidental damage to your vehicle, plus damage you might cause to someone else's property or vehicle.


What does my car insurance cover?

Car insurance, or motor vehicle insurance, covers you against accidental damage to, or loss of, your motor vehicle. The maximum amount you'll be paid if your car is damaged beyond repair or stolen and never recovered is the market value of the vehicle (i.e. what it was worth immediately before the incident or accident).

Car insurance can also cover you against damage you might cause to someone else's vehicle or property.

There are three general categories of motor vehicle insurance:

  1. Comprehensive. This insurance offers the greatest level of cover for accidental loss of, or damage to, your vehicle and for any damage you cause to someone else's property or vehicle (no matter whose fault it is). Cover may also include other costs associated with an accident such as salvage and towing fees.

  2. Third party, fire and theft. As the name suggests, you're only covered for damage you cause to someone else's vehicle or property, for damage to your own vehicle caused by fire, and for theft of your own vehicle.

  3. Third party. You're only covered for damage you cause to someone else's vehicle or property. You are not covered for damage to or loss of your own vehicle. Third party property damage cover tends to be the least expensive form of motor vehicle insurance.

To learn more give us a call and we will be pleased to provide you with the correct advice about motor vehicle insurance.


What does boat insurance cover?

Boat insurance is available for trailered craft and jet skis as part of your personal protection plan.

We can work with a specialist marine provider for insurance of moored craft or larger vessels.

Business Insurance

There is no single policy to cover all your business risks, but our goal is to address all your business risks together, and comprehensively covered you with one plan.

We’ll work with you to build an insurance plan that best suits your needs, whatever your business, from the following suite of business policies.

Business insurance policies:

  • Material damage 
    Covers loss or damage to your commercial buildings, contents, plant, stock and other assets.

  • Business Interruption 
    We know if a business stops, it fails. So, we make it our business to keep you going. Our business interruption policy covers you for your financial loss if your business is interrupted due to damage at your business premises.

  • Choices in liability policies  
    Covering your legal liability under public, employers or statutory policies.

  • Business vehicles 
    Commercial motor insurance gives you the option of covering your business vehicles.

  • Machinery breakdown 
    This covers you for repair or replacement of your machinery damaged as a result of a mechanical or electrical breakdown (excluding wear and tear).

  • Personal income 
    If you’re unable to work due to injury or illness, your loss of earnings are covered. 

  • Employee fraud 
    This covers loss of money or goods due to the dishonesty of an employee.

When a business claims, sometimes it’s across more than one policy. Having one business insurance plan covering all your business policies means that you only have to make one claim and pay one excess per event.

Agri insurance

Insurance cover designed for New Zealand farmers

To satisfy the unique insurance needs of New Zealand farmers we are pleased to be able to offer specialist insurance plans for the agricultural sector.

If your farm is hit by a disaster such as a fire, flood, tornado, earthquake or snowstorm, the right insurance package can help you get back to the business of farming.

We understand the potential for legal liabilities and loss of farm income and we can tailor your insurance to fit the unique requirements of your farm. Whether it's insurance for farm assets and vehicles, farmer's liability and interruption, machinery breakdown or your home, contents, private motor, boat – we can help you cover it.

We can even arrange cover for your livestock, farm dogs and horses.


Click Here To Claim Your Free Quotation >>>

Do you need more information?
If you’d like to know more or speak to one of our financial advisers please

contact us

Why AMP City

Personalised advice service

Insurance and financial planning is not about “one size fits all”.  We will provide personalised advice and service that works in the best interests of you, your family and your business. 

Professional team

Our advisers are professional with industry relevant qualifications, who pride themselves on keeping up with current trends while also meeting regulatory requirements.


We have a preferred partner relationship with AMP, plus arrangements with the major insurance providers in New Zealand. This means we can offer you the best solutions for you, your family and your business.

Better terms

The insurance and lending terms that we put forward we're confident that they can meet your needs better than those of any other broker or adviser in terms of advice, service, and product.

No queue waiting

You will not stand in a queue waiting to see one of our advisers. We pride ourselves on being easily accessible to our clients, in our office or at your home, at a time that suits you.

No hidden fees

The premiums and products we offer are direct from the insurance companies and banks - so you can expect NO hidden administration fee or broker fee.

To read important information about us, privacy and terms and conditions, click here.